Pregnancy and Illness- what to do first.
- Eat iron-rich foods combines with Vitamin C-rich food
- Alfalfa tablets, 1-2tabs 3-4 times a day
- Cook in cast iron pans.
- Floradix Iron & Herb’s, 2 teaspoons 2-4 time a day
- Slow FE, tablets, 1-2 times a day
- Iron supplements, if prescribed by provider
Colds or Allergies
- Get extra rest.
- Drink lots of fluids
- Use vaporizer or Neti pot.
- Saline nose sprays or eye drops
- Take garlic and/or Vitamin C tablets.
- Cold-Eeze, allium, or euphrasia as directed
- Vicks vapor rub on throat/ chest at bedtime
- Chlor- Trimeton (chlorpheniramine)
- Benadryl (diphenhydraime), Claritan (loratadine), or zyrtec
- Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) after 1st trimester (14wks)
- Saline Nasal Spray
Cough or sore throat
- Cough drops
- Fluids, warm liquids, honey and lemon
- Gargle with warm salt water.
- Triaminic, Mucinex or Robitussin (guaifenesin and dextromethorphan)
- Tylenol, 2 tablets every 4 hours
- CALL with persistent fever > 100.4, sinus pain and discharge (green) or productive cough with green sputum
- Increase intake of water, 6-8 cups a day.
- Increase intake of high-fiber foods (bran cereals, whole grain, fresh fruit, and vegetables, or juices, prunes).
- Increase exercise, especially walking.
- Alfalfa tablets, 1-2 tabs 3-4 times a day
- Homeopathic: nux vomica, sulphur
- Take Colace (docusate sodium), 100mg 1-2 times a day to soften stool.
- Take Metamucil or Fibercon (psyllium) 1-2 time a day to bulk up stool.
- Do NOT use laxatives or mineral oil without discussing with a provider
- Drink only clear liquids (water, tea, juice, Gatorade, ginger ale, jello, broth) for 24 hours.
- Gradually add small amounts of solid foods to your diet when diarrhea improves.
- CALL if symptoms persist more than 2-3 days
- Avoid constipation, see above.
- Sit in warm or cool water for 10-15 minutes twice a day. May add 1 cup Epsom salts.
- Ice pack or cold compress
- Vitamin C, 250mg 3-4 times a day
- Vaseline (petroleum gel)
- Tucks (witch hazel) pads
- Homeopathic: pulsatilla, hamamelis
- Use Preparation H 1-2 time a day
- Use Anusol HC suppositories 1-2 times a day
- CALL if pain is severe, for office evaluation
Nicole is an outstanding midwife. She is knowledgeable, kind-hearted, understanding and easy to talk to. With her help and encouragement I was able to give birth naturally. My "birth" day was better than I imagined and I am grateful for such an awesome midwife. I will come back to Nicole EVERY time!
- Bobbie Garland, RN